Tuesday 31 August 2010

So, what do you do?

I went to a wedding this bank holiday weekend. A lovely wedding as well, it must be said. Now I didn't know anybody at the wedding other than my girlfriend (the reason why I was invited), and anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not the most socially interactive of people. Thus I found the day to be a challenge. I find it very hard to genuinely sustain chit-chat with people I don't know (and don't have any real interest in knowing). This is by no means any reflection on anyone else, most of these people were very pleasant, and very clearly they were much more natural at keeping their end of the conversation up. I did find however, that nearly always the first thing anybody asked me, apart from how I knew the bride and groom, was what I did for a living?
I kind of got sick of telling people how I'd just become a newly qualified teacher, it seemed that everyone there was a teacher, not too much of a surprise though since the bride was one. Twenty minutes into conversations of trying to remain enthused about teaching was starting to take it's toll. I'd much rather chat with people about other things than what they do for a living. After about the 4th failed conversation (and 8th alcoholic drink) I decided that I'd have a change of tact. From now on I worked in a supermarket. Nothing wrong with that but I soon realised that the conversation didn't last much longer after that. Maybe an "Oooh that sounds interesting", followed by "well it was nice speaking with you". But not much more. Which suited me but made me think. Is what I do for a living that important. should a conversation rely on a 'right' answer?

Anyway, as I said, the evening was lovely. I met some really nice people but I did realise, if I didn't already know it, how I don't really like that many people, or to put it another way, people just don't interest me that much. (but I am interested in interesting people). 
Maybe I'm just a miserable git. Yeah, it's probably that!
Glinka

1 comment: