Thursday 26 August 2010

Art forgery

So, some Italian art collectors have been duped out of 8.8 MILLION euros after buying fake paintings. The full story can be read here. It has reminded me of a documentary I saw last year about a young man living at home with his parents in Bolton where he fooled the art world in selling what was thought to be a 3,300 year old statue of an Egyptian princess to a museum (read here). Yes, I understand it is wrong to pass something off as somebody else's but its not like they are claiming a Matisse painting is one they did. These people clearly have talent, they have meticulously painted and sculpted the art pieces to a near perfect replication. The art world at times is so concerned with who made the art works that quality is ultimately ignored. In a day and age where an installation of a light going on and off wins 20 grand, a genuinely talented individual is sentenced to prison for 4 years. This guy from Bolton should have had his own exhibition, not banged up (although a gallery in London exhibited his work earlier this year).
Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of contemporary and modern art. (I am not a fan of 'highbrow' art, art that comes with an essay to justify it). Personally, I would PAY to see the works created by Shaun Greenhalgh and I like the fact that this loner managed to fool the art world. (If only I could do the same!!!)

Glinka

No comments:

Post a Comment