Thursday 28 October 2010

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon - The Diving bell and The Butterfly


The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a true story about Jean - Dominique Bauby, a fashion editor at Elle who suffered a devastating stroke. His stroke left him with 'locked in' syndrome, with movement only in his left eye. The film is an adaptation of his book 'Le Scaphandre et le Papillon' which he wrote with a translator using the blink of his left eye as the only means of communicating. It is very moving story, witty at times and humbling. I can't think of a more traumatic circumstance than what 'Jean - Do' had to endure.

I really wanted to see this film for a long time but I was putting it off because I thought I would find the subject matter quite difficult because as a child my own father suffered a stroke and subsequent paraylsis. I shouldn't have worried, the film is beautifully shot and captivating. You see insights into his life working at a glossy magazine, his regrets with past loves... (you can't help but think he was a bit of a player), the relationship he had with his father and his own kids. It's a great film and one I would whole heartedly recommend if you haven't seen it already.
Anouska
Cause and Effect

No comments:

Post a Comment