Wednesday 1 September 2010

R.I.P Corrine Day

I've only just found out that the fashion photographer Corrine Day has died of a brain tumour on 27th August. Her early work was so influential to me as a fashion styling student as her honest and authentic documentary style approach really caught my eye. She was pivotal in the influence of Kate Moss's success and participated in making heroin chic and grunge become a real fashion movement with her controversial images. Its a sad loss as her work really was iconic. Some may not agree that fashion is art, but to me all visual creativity in any context can be considered as art and I don't believe that a commercial context devalues work in anyway. Does art have to be for arts sake or can it be art with a purpose? Some may disagree with me, but for now lets just appreciate her great talent here.

No comments:

Post a Comment