Thursday 5 August 2010

I'm in Love With a German Film Star

Pictures by Anouska

Well I'm not really but you can't beat The Passions for some quality tunes. I've just got back from Berlin, which was totally fab. Such a hub of creativity and inspiration and I would recommend it to anyone. I've never been anywhere quite so cool before, it's such a good city. There are so many interesting markets, monuments, places to go etc and all the history of the city makes it so diverse...they have the best transport system (take note Metrolink) and the cheapest food and drink ever! I even stayed within budget which is quite something seeing as I had to pay excess luggage on the way back : /
One of the most mind boggling places I've ever been too is the Reichstag Building. It boasts a 360 view of the city and inside it is a helter skelter of glass, reflective surfaces and a continuous circular path, and although I queued an hour in the beaming sunshine and felt frazzled with dehydration at the end of it, it was well worth the experience and dizziness!
One of the other extraordinary places I visited was Tacheles Art House, which is an indescribable place unless you see for yourself. Covered in graffiti over several floors, as soon as I walked in I felt apprehension and excitement. I felt as though I needed permission to go in. In one room there was what can only be described as a the loudest banging (almost tribal sounding) by a huge group of performers who were totally let loose. I literally nearly burst an eardrum, it was incredible.
.
Further up as you continue up the winding stairs, you come across people working on bits and pieces of art in their studios, a gallery with some of the oddest paintings I have ever seen and a rooftop bar with cheap beer. I was curious how they have got the raggedy sofas up so many floors. I think the people from Kraak Gallery must have visited as it has the same kinda vibe.


Hopefully I will get chance to go back to Berlin soon as I really loved the place. In the meantime I didn't see any pigeons apart from these ones... they can't resist a bit of bread can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment