Monday 29 November 2010

Put down your paintbrushes... the secret to being a successful artist is out...

Image copyright Congo the Chimpanzee


I was reading some article on how to make it as an artist. They churned out some spiel on how you should be creative and relevant..... creative and artist, are you sure!!!!
They then gave a list of 10 things to do to make it as an artist......

10. Be smart. (i'm fairly smart, even if I do say so myself)
9. Know your weaknesses. (easy.... lack of funds)
8. Know your strengths (a good conceptual eye... yep, only the one)
7. The artist must be willing to be critiqued by third parties (non-family/friend) (feel free)
6. You can't let one opinion bring you down. (I won't and I don't)
5. Practice your craft. (I am doing)
4. Be proactive and get involved. (involved and procative is my double-barreled middle name)
3. Play with other people. (not sure what it's implying, but I like to play)
2. Take chances (tick)
1. Be assertive. (10 out of 10... Now give me some money!)

I often wonder who actually comes up with lists like these. I'd like to meet them. Ask them why the frig they feel the need to share such wisdom with us. Do they think they are going to change the life of any 'artist' by writing this bollocks. 

The bottom line is this...  there are millions and millions of 'artists' out there..... you can have as many top 10 lists as you want, but unless you have (some) talent and a big fat slice of luck then you'll probably just end up writing on a blog, moaning about it all whilst teaching the next generation to be optimistic about the world. 

On another note, this week i've mostly been listening to THESE.

Cause and Effect

Glinka

No comments:

Post a Comment