Tuesday 5 October 2010

RPS Talk - John Darwell (oh and Martin Parr)


Getting personal with Martin Parr and John Darwell. 16 October 2010

Interesting one this. Everyone seems to have an opinion on Martin Parr (in photography circles at least), good or bad, he is definitely at the top of the who's who of photography. And John Darwell, whilst not the house hold name Parr is, his work is of equal quality (I'd say greater but I may be biased as Mr Darwell was my lecturer for 2 years at University). John Darwell oozes passion when it comes to photography and his projects and photographs convey this. He has documented Chernobyl after the 1986 meltdown and the effect of foot and mouth disease in Cumbria, as well as many many more but my favourite stuff of Mr D's is his recent project where he explores the bizarre phenomena of "discarded dog shit bags".

 Copyright John Darwell, from 'Discarded Dog Shit Bags'

I've been to a Martin Parr talk before, he's quite an interesting man to listen too. A massive photo nerd! And for the record I like his work, although it does annoy me how much influence or sway he has on photography. He  does know his stuff though (realising that I may be contradicting myself... I think a lot of photographers I've spoken to are somewhat the same, they seem to love and hate him at the same time!).
Click on their name to view their respective websites: JOHN DARWELL MARTIN PARR. Maybe it's a generation thing but I'm not a fan of either website, doesn't do the work justice. Too busy and hard to navigate (alternatively go here to see more of John Darwell's work). Other than that, should be a great talk. You can find out more and book tickets through the royal photographic website here.

Glinka



No comments:

Post a Comment