Friday 1 October 2010

36 EXP. Review

Copyright Ayse Hasan

Both Anouska and I went to the opening night of 36 EXP (see their blog here). at EASA gallery last night. Apart from the sore head today from all the lovely free wine, the exhibition gets a massive thumbs up from me. First of all it was great to see an exhibition dedicated solely to the love of film! Whilst some of the photographs were stronger and worked more than others, it was overall a great idea for an exhibition that produced a variety of work that was both interesting and diverse. I was particularly intrigued by seeing the contact sheets and seeing which ones the photographer chose NOT to print, thus providing the viewer with an insight into the efforts a photographer goes to in getting that one perfect shot. I was particularly impressed with Ayse Hasan's photographs. She definitely chose the right two to print. They are so engaging. I love the quirky framing and the interaction with the children whilst the adults are too focused on getting to their destination to notice the camera. I also really liked Helen Smiths photographs (sorry no contact details or website so you'll just have to get down to the exhibition and take a look for yourself!). 


I must also mention Sarah Hill's photograph of a young child looking into a camera at an anti-war demonstration in Manchester. 
Copyright Sarah Hill


Photography is a powerful and inspirational tool that when used properly is as good as any painting/sculpture/poem/film. High praise but it is really that good. I now wish I'd submitted myself, it would have been great to have been part of it. I hope they do it again, I think it would work as an annual exhibition celebrating the amazingness (is that a word???!!) of film.


P.S. If anybody knows what Mark Devereux is photographing in these pictures then please tell me. I'm intrigued and when I asked him he wouldn't tell! Answers on a postcard please!!!


Glinka

1 comment: