Thursday 9 September 2010

Betty Raspberry illustrations



Illustration by Betty Raspberry. Courtesy of Lis Marsh


The last bits of summer are nearly over and although it's a shame, I'm kinda looking forward to wearing my new fabulous coat, a lightly knitted scarf and my new pair of grey brogues (can't get enough of them!)
We had a nice encouraging email from Lis Marsh who wholeheartedly supports our tea drinking obsession (I must be on my 3rd or 4th today??) A talented illustrator based in Manchester Lis goes under the name of Betty Raspberry. Her drawings are fabulously enchanting and I love the way her illustrated characters combine naivety with an eye catching sassiness. Her work is available for commissions, so please check out her site for more details!
Lis is also a new member of the Manchester Craft Mafia which actively supports creative craft designers in the area. They have just updated their website and are doing some really great things in and around the city! So check them out here. Infact I'd totally forgotten there was a group in Manchester so I was happy to be reminded (I'm in a constant daydream, forgive me everyone!). I was one of the co-founder members of the original Leeds Craft Mafia back in the day when I had my little store Fabric Junkie in The Corn Exchange. I was passionate about selling handmade things from around the world and I also sold vintage clothing and accessories. It was a sheer labour of love. (Oh my poor little shop taken over by the corporate nasties) After a bit of googling, I found some articles but I'm not sure the Leeds C.M still exists (??) which is a shame, but you can also find Craft Mafia's in Glasgow, Nottingham and Newcastle
The original http://www.austincraftmafia.com started back in Austin Texas by some super crafty people but now they can be found at a city near you getting right behind original talent! Its so good to see handmade crafters making the most of their talents, as we all know how hard it is to make a living from doing what you love, so rock out! Right I'm off now to put the kettle on.... again! Until next time Anouska

No comments:

Post a Comment